Saturday, September 15, 2012

1st Day of School

My son is in 1st grade now. After 2 yrs of preschool, followed by Kindergarten, I was sure he was ready. As a teacher myself, I struggle with the fact that I can't participate in the schooling of my own son. Instead I am educating other peoples children. I can't complain, I have great students! I also understand, as a teacher, what kind of student I want my son to be. The dilemma is HOW do I make my son THAT student when I can't be there to help. Every year I see other parents taking their kids to their first day of school & they post their first day pictures all over the internet to share with family & friends. I can't do that. I am gone when he wakes up every morning. This year I decided I just need to archive & share what I CAN do. My mornings involve kissing his sweet sleeping face goodbye & whispering in his ear that I love him & he should be a good boy at school. Taking pictures of that is a bit tricky. I had to do this in the dark so he would not wake,  & I had to use the timer since it's essentially a self-portrait. Not the best photography, I was running late, but at least it captures what our family's first day of school is like.

 An hour later, my husband woke to take our son to school. He is NOT a photographer, but he had my old camera & did a good job.

 Clearly D2 did not want to go to school. Don't let his angry face fool you, when his dad picked him up after school he said to him "You should have stayed daddy. We had fun!"





No comments: