Monday, January 7, 2013

SNOW! SNOW! SNOW!

Well, this Texas lady & her Texas boy had a quick run to Washington in early December. My twin sister (the one in red & white) took us to play in the snow, & we lucked out by arriving to the national forest just minutes after they opened the road for the season. Why does that matter? We were the first to the top (ok, after the employees) and we played and played in perfect snow. It was overcast, a storm blew in, & visibility was low for most of it, but it surely was a winter wonderland! It brought back a few memories of walking to pre-school when we still lived in Wyoming, and assured me that I am glad we moved south. I love visiting, but I wouldn't want to live in it! My son, on the other hand, never wanted to play in the Texas cold, but now that he's been in REAL snow, he can't get enough of cold weather at home! I think we made a mountain man out of him!



2 comments:

Anonymous said...

These are beautiful, Beth! We're leaving tomorrow for a week in Montana and will be snowmobiling in Yellowstone on Thursday. Any tips you care to share about taking pictures in the snow?

Elizabeth Crocker said...

As I go through these I am realizing that, with the exception of a few tree shots, I don't like the tinting that I did on some of the b&w shots.

Donna: First thing I would say is to remember that the snow will melt & be like water on your camera, so be sure it's tight, or bring a small rag to wipe it off regularly. Then, use your theatre skills & compose your shots in the camera frame just like you would for a proscenium stage. There are two very different results you will get from the same shot, done two ways: up close will capture moments, people, details; while far away captures the wide scenic perspective. Put a person in a wide shot & your photo sends one type of message, & up close sends something very different to the viewer. Shoot low & high, not just eye level. I can go on & on, but you know what you like in an image so trust that & you will be happy with your results. Have fun!