Monday, February 22, 2010

Texas is increasing the H.S. Fine Arts Requirement...YES!

As a theatre teacher I am always concerned that my wonderful state of Texas puts WAY tooooo much emphasis on football & not enough on the arts (even other sports for that matter). So I was extatic to learn that the state is upping the anty! Now a fine arts credit will be required for ALL degree plans, not just recommended & distinguished. Not only will this help to secure my job, but the students who most need the guidance that a creative thinker can provide will no longer be able to avoid it. I get lots of kids who are "put" in my class then soon realize what fun it is & begin developing a better level of self-confidence through the work we do.

"We look in a mirror to see our face, but we look at art to see our soul."

Images from my productions of The King & I, Beauty & the Beast, Othello, Jekyll & Hyde, The Man Who Came To Dinner, and Godspell: all work seen was completed by students.













1 comment:

sMacThoughts said...

What fun it must be doing this job, Beth!! And good news as well!!